Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why The Cookie Fairies?

I am a mother of 2 young girls. I am also passionate about serving others. Since becoming a stay at home mom (a position I sincerely love with all of my heart, and by far my #1 "job"), I have not been able to serve in the community as I would like.

Feeling like I wanted to contribute more to the community, I attended a Volunteer Fair put on by our local government. It was wonderful- there were dozens of incredibly worthy causes seeking volunteers. Everything ranging from cleaning the backcountry to tutoring foster kids was available. All of these causes are tremendous- and there are thousands of people doing invaluable service every day.

But none of those quite felt right for me at this stage in life. You see, the thing I am most passionate about is my kids. And, yes, I could get a baby-sitter once a month so I could go and volunteer at one of these fantastic groups and I am certain I would have a wonderful time and I would be able to help others and make a positive impact.

The problem was, there was nothing at the volunteer fair that I was overly passionate about- nothing that I wanted to leave my children to go and do instead of being with them. Again, I am not saying these causes were not worth my time- on the contrary, I thought they were all fantastic. They just didn't quite fit what I am looking for right now in my life.

So I came up with the idea of The Cookie Fairies. This is a service I can do with my children- I can teach them how to love and serve others. Instead of taking me from my children, I am hoping this will bring me closer to my children.

And that is how the idea of the The Cookie Fairies was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment